Wednesday, March 19, 2014

7 things I do in Spain that I wouldn't do in England.

There are certain things I've ended up doing here in Madrid, Spain, that I wouldn't do back in England. As always, this is not a comprehensive list, just those things my decaying mind can remember at this point in time...

1. Take a morning coffee in a local bar on the way to work (often with toast or churros). This is partly to get my brain listening to Spanish (apart from the bar talk the television will broadcast the news). But also because it's inexpensive here - 2 euros will cover coffee and the breakfast item. I really couldn't afford to do this back home.

2. Tip beggars with 20 or 25 cents. Firstly, because I'd probably get insulted if I gave such small amounts in the UK. Secondly because I always feel that the UK benefits system is meant to be more comprehensive, so there is less excuse for people to fall through the net. I have to admit though, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm totally mistaken on this.

3. Drink a small beer (known as a caƱa). It's perfectly acceptable to have a small beer here - and you still generally receive a free snack with it. The atmosphere in British pubs is such that I actually feel uncomfortable if I have just a half pint.

4. Throw used napkins or chicken legs on the floor once used up.

5. The two kisses thing when being introduced to Spanish women. Although it's something I'm still uncomfortable with. Likewise the affectionate embrace with male friends. These people are way too tactile!

6. Stand talking to someone who's only 4 inches from your face. People here are far more comfortable standing close to each other, than we are in England.

7. Advertise my services (in my case the bookshop and English lessons) on lamp-posts! Even in the internet age it's still the case here that the best way to advertise directly is via flyers on street furniture. Part of the reason is that you get a lot of sunny days and so the advert isn't washed away so quickly. It's still a surprise to see someone advertising their 400k house in this way though.

No comments:

Post a Comment