Monday, March 3, 2014

Giving something back

One thing that concerns me in today's society is that there is very little chance of people "left behind" getting back into regular employment. I saw this a lot in the UK, with the rise of food banks and the like, and indeed one reason I've embarked on the bookshop business is because I found myself with very little option of finding work. It's no better in Spain, and despite the packed bars and busy shopping streets in Madrid, there are large numbers of people who have been left behind with no realistic chance of getting work.
One group that has been set up to try and help the jobless and/or homeless is called ServeTheCity. It basically looks for people working/living in Madrid to use their free time to help those less fortunate than themselves. I cannot guarantee that my own business can survive the coming months or years - although I am exploring every avenue to encourage people to use my bookshop. Nevertheless, so long as the Blogger service is up and this blog is running, (hopefully) people will read this entry, and if they are based in Madrid and have some free time to give, they can give something back to the city. Please share the site for ServeTheCity with anyone you know who lives/works in Madrid.
Serve the City is a movement of volunteers serving cities in practical ways & inspiring people to be “givers” in this world. We believe that many people doing small things together can make a big difference in our world. With this initiative we want to show that we believe in making Madrid a better place to live!

1 comment: