Friday, February 28, 2014

The Invitation.

There is a hidden danger that many people who live and work in Madrid have to deal with on a regular basis. It can strike without warning, and the consequences, particularly on the following morning, can be dire. It's known as the Invitation...
It may not be the healthiest lifestyle, but I've gotten into the habit, 2 or 3 times a week, of popping into a bar on my way home at night. For the price of a small beer or wine, I'll be given a free snack/aperitivo, the chance to relax and sometimes practice my Spanish with the other people in the bar.
That in itself is probably not too harmful, but the danger is when a second drink is ordered, or perhaps a whisky or gin "for the road". Because you then run the risk of the invitation. It's quite common for bar-owners here to reward a regular customer by inviting them to another drink when they are just about to leave. It's obviously a cost-effective way of building up a loyal customer base, and means the bar appears busy for a little longer - it's often the case that busy bars and restaurants attract more customers easier if they are already seen to be popular.
In the last week or so I've been "invited" to a last drink twice, which is an indication that perhaps I'm indulging a shade too much. It's also meant I've been sluggish in the mornings, so I now need to cut my drinking down. Not a lot, I believe in moderation. ;) Until the next invitation...
Meanwhile in the bookshop or on the web, the one book that sells as soon as I get a copy, is "la Ladrona de libros" (The Book Thief). Next time I wrangle a 2nd hand version I'll keep it to myself for a while, I want to read it in tandem with the English version. On one of the nights I'm not bar-hopping, of course..

No comments:

Post a Comment