Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The colour of money.

Sometimes I get the impression that people place different values on certain things here in Spain. Yesterday I bought a ham bocadillo (similar to baguette) for the very reasonable price of 2,50 euros. That price is lower than some around here, and the seller had decided to skimp a little. But instead of cutting back on the expensive ingredient, the ham, he had skimped on the bread instead. You often notice, even in the best establishments, that when you go for a Menu del Dia, that there is a distinct shortage of salt pots or oil jars. Where possible you are expected to re-use your knife and fork for the second course - I can't see major savings in the dishwasher with 10 fewer bits of cultlery, but there you go.
Another cost-saving feature is the lights in the washroom. There is normally a timer cut-out, so you have to be careful if you spend too long on a call of nature as you can end up sitting in the dark, looking around for the switch. I suppose it's an efficient way of saving energy, but it does take some getting used to.
I have to stress here that I'm not claiming to be in any way a better judge of business sense - I realise I have a lot to learn. I'm still wondering whether I made a mistake yesterday. An elderly lady came into Offside Books looking for a second hand book in French. The only ones I could see were travel guides, which were hardly what she was looking for. However I did find a children's book of fables (in French) in the one euro category, and in a fit of genorosity I decided to offer it as a gift (un regalo). Now of course one euro doesn't really mean a lot, but the lady was very appreciative, and spent a few minutes thanking me and wishing the shop lots of luck. Which is exactly what we need if I give any more books away! ;) So if you're in Madrid pop down to our store on Torija 8 (near plaza Santo Domingo) and see if you can wrangle yourself a bargain - I'm obviously a soft touch!

2 comments:

  1. There's always the watering down of vinegar and wine as well!!

    I think it's lovely that you gave her the book. What goes around comes around…eventually!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as you mentioned Spanish food is good. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete