Monday, February 17, 2014

Missing something?

This is a question that often comes up of Brits working/living abroad - what do you miss from Blighty? Sometimes the answer is a certain manufactured British foodstuff like Marmite, tea-bags or baked beans, although to be honest these goods are easier to get and are now even in some supermarkets. I can't say I miss much British food. I may indulge in a sausage roll or pork pie when I head back to England, but there is certainly no shortage of pork products available here in Madrid. Missing a good curry - well no, there are good places to get curry now in Madrid, even though the price can be a little steep.
Of course I wish I could see family members and the better-half more often, but that's often the case when people work away in the UK. It's not even the case of missing banter or good conversation, as there is a decent sized expat community you can meet up with in Madrid, often down the Irish pub.
Do I miss the constant rain and long periods without the sun back home? What do you think? No, but one thing I do miss, and it's a strange choice, is fitted carpets. I know there is the hygiene question and perhaps they are not suited to a continental climate. I realise also that rugs can be bought here. But I still miss the fitted carpet effect, especially on a cold winter's morning!
There are of course other things I miss from back home - public parks in the UK are fantastic, and although there are some here in Madrid I still prefer those back home. Plus pubs that have live free music - there are a few in Madrid, but again the choice is far better back home. Having said all that, there are very few things that I really miss, especially now we have all the internet has to offer. As I posted on an earlier thread, I don't even miss British television - I don't have time to watch it! Even more to the point - I don't lack reading material either - I have literally thousands of English books to browse through in my Madrid shop. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment